Saturday, August 29, 2009

New Truth

After a rather thought-provoking conversation with a very good friend today, something has been revealed to my mind. I trust this friend to know me implicitly, and have given them absolute access to speak anything into my life that they feel would be appropriate. The topic of intelligence arose, and I petitioned a rating. After scoring pretty well on their scale, I felt good enough about myself to make one further interrogation. "Maybe," I said, "but do you think I am wise?" The answer is a breath of fresh air now, but seemed like a punch to the gut at the time.

They said they felt like I have a lot of wisdom, but (unfortunately) it's mostly stored-up wisdom.

I don't know if you understand the implications of that statement, so let me define it for you: Wisdom withheld begets increasing ignorance.
Before I go any farther I should point out that I in no way disagree with their analysis of my life. In fact, it's the most truthful observation anyone has made about me in quite a while (beside the statement someone made yesterday about my car looking like it was missing a front tooth). Like I said, this person really knows me.

So let's talk about wisdom.
Wisdom is not static. It's not the measles, meaning you don't just get it once and then you never have to worry about it again. Proverbs says, "Buy the truth and do not sell it..." That particular book of the Bible is awash with sayings about wisdom, but I really like that one.
I know, that verse doesn't even have the word 'wisdom' in it; however, I submit that truth and wisdom are cousins in meaning. Wisdom is an extension of the Truth with the addition of one crucial factor--action.

So, [readers], if you accept my words...
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-5 NIV

Wisdom is what I plan on searching for today. Thank you, friend, you are very dear to me.
Have a great day, folks. It will be whatever you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment