Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The amazing human body

Don't worry, there are no pictures of me in a speedo at the end of this post (or anywhere). My wife's grandma (no, none of her either) just had heart surgery yesterday. She was scheduled for a bypass and a valve replacement, but ended up only getting the bypass. The surgeon opened up alot more than he thought he would, though, so now grandma has blood flowing out everywhere (it's a good thing).

The human body is incredible. God is amazing. All the membranes, arteries, veins, systems, and structures that comprise it are their own proof of how they were made. There is no other explanation for the human body than a brilliant Creator. Something equally incredible are surgeons.

Surgeons have to think on their feet, and must be very smart and amazing. At least that's what ours told us about himself. I don't know if you have ever known a surgeon, but they feel like we should know about how much work they went to to get where they are. Understandable. A typical paragraph from our guy would go like this,

"Well I had just finished closing the primary fibrugatolatory artery, when all the sudden I noticed lymphatic acid, hydrochloric acid, AND battery acid leaking from the upper bicuspidal root of the lower atrium. Well, we surgeons have to think on our feet, because we're very clever. So that's exactly what I did. I thought on my feet. Thought right on 'em. I just stood there and thought, thought, thought. I thought about my college experience and all the work I have done to elevate myself to this ultra-human position. I thought about my garage full of imported cars. I thought about the fact that my marriage and bank account seems to be indirectly proportional, and how I'm really okay with that. And finally I thought to ask another surgeon to come in and tell me what I should do with your grandma. Yes, sirree, not many people could think on their feet like that."

Five hundred years in school and they get a sense of entitlement, but I think it could be taken too far.

What happens when people in other fields start feeling the same sense of entitlement?

Billy the bus driver: "Hey, kids we'll be a little late for school today, the bus is broken. But let me tell you about how we bus drivers have to think on our feet."

Bob the trash man: "Yeah, I noticed a banana peel had fallen out of your bag, so I had to think on my feet..."

Clark the janitor: "Well sir, I just wasn't quite tall enough to change the bulb sitting down, so I had to think on my feet..."

Billy Bob Clark the redneck: "Yep. I aint been known te do mech thinkin', and the wife says my feets stink better'n a hawg bein fed a mess a beans, heh heh heh. Yall know what I mean? Man, dem hawgs make the wurst stanks, heh heh..."




Happy Successful Heart Surgery Day, Grandma, love you.

2 comments:

  1. sheer.
    brilliance.

    please write a book.
    so I can buy several copies.

    please include me in your dedication page.

    amen.
    kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Tyler thinks well on his feet as well to write such a brilliant post.

    ReplyDelete