Friday, August 28, 2009

Korea's story

I recently visited the Kansas City chapter of my reading audience. Incidentally, KC is where approximately 50% of the six people that read this blog reside.
While I was there, I had the pleasure of meeting one of my most devout readers. Her name was Korea (name changed to protect the mostly innocent except for alcohol abuse), and she had subscribed to my RSS feed through Google Reader. Korea's patronage touched me more than any of my other followers, because it took them all of ten seconds to check my blog: Click, click, read, done.

Not so with Korea.

She sported a very old, very tired laptop that buzzed, clanked, and smoked more than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang filled with diesel. With her laptop, it takes approximately twenty minutes to get to Says Ray.
“Twenty MINUTES!” exclaims the average American. “Why, in twenty minutes I can check my email, check my reader, check the weather, check and double check my checking account, post on my blog, post on my wall, post up for a pick-and-roll, twit my tweets (heh, heh), youtube the “Mother’s Day” skit (do it), AND spend the remaining fifteen minutes at addictinggames.com.”

Poor Korea, she has only heard glorious stories about all those magical places. She can’t visit them on her computer. That would be as preposterous as visiting Canada in a 1986 Geo Metro, you can only go so far on the interstate (or internet) when you’re driving outdated machinery.
Korea, thank you for being here. I know you probably won’t read this until fiscal 2010, but your sacrifice means a great deal.

As Christians, there is a joy that comes from sacrificing a great deal that cannot be equaled by that which comes easily. I know that Korea laughs harder than anyone else (or at least, laughs) when she reads Says Ray. I am not necessarily supporting a suffering theology, but I will say this:

From large oak trees come thousands of tiny nuts

I hope that quote really brought home the prodigal moral that I keep alluding to: Appreciate the gift God has given you in your computer; without it, you wouldn’t be able to read Says Ray.

2 comments:

  1. WTF? You were in Kansas City? When? Why?

    There better be a lot of really good reasons you did not play TBs with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a post I wrote after our last Kansas city trip, but hadn't posted it until now.

    Sorry for the scare

    ReplyDelete