Monday, July 27, 2009

Vacation

My family found itself in Arkansas again this summer. Not that we were lost, of course, but it seems like this is our second home. My grandparents started coming to Bull Shoals lake forty nine years ago, and we are still here, breeding like rabbits and fitting in all too well with the locals ("Hey cousin so-and-so, zip up your pants").
One of my favorite things about vacation is the freedom one can experience from devices. Cell phones are the main device of which I type. My cell phone never leaves my side at home, and since the advent of the bluetooth, it literally is with me so much it's growing out of my ear. 
Here there is a no shoes no shirt no teeth no direct ancestry no cell phone no problem policy, and I love it. Catch fish, shoot fish, trap fish, stew fish; those are your only jobs.
Unless you're a woman, obviously, then you have a lot of jobs. I'm convinced that even though my mother has driven down every year with us and stayed in the same cabins and rode on the same boats; she hasn't had an actual vacation since before she was married (and since she was married at 17, her last vacation was an eighth grade summer camp).
I taught my younger sister's boyfriend how to scuba dive today. He did great. He's a good guy; they'll probably get married. I'm good with it.

It's after 1 AnteMeridian, and my wife is sleeping. I think I'm going to leave you guys and go join her...goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment